You all know how much I love coming home and playing with my Shoppers Drug Mart receipts to see how much farther I’ve been able to stretch my savings. I love how they indicate how much was saved because of sale prices, and the coupons are easy to calculate separately. Today I went in to get my $200 in FREE stuff as part of the Spend Your Points Event and had my biggest FREE-spree EVER! I hardly know how to make mathematical sense of it all (shout out to my math super hero Summy for the help!). My working title for this blog post was originally “I saved 91% at Shoppers Drug Mart”, but quite frankly that doesn’t stand out amidst the clever couponing skills of the Canadian Coupons community …. you all keep my on my toes!
Here’s the scoop on how I got 2.8 times more FREE stuff than my Optimum Points were worth:
- I redeemed 95,000 Shoppers Optimum Points which are normally worth $170 in FREE stuff, but since this weekend was a Spend Your Point event, they were worth an extra $30 in FREE stuff. I knew I’d be coming home with at least $200 in FREE stuff and tried to use as many coupons with sales to stretch the savings farther.
- I filled my cart with 74 items which added up to a subtotal of $239.28 after coupons, sales, and manufacturer’s mark downs. Normally, this would consistitue a royal FAIL in my books because I like my subtotal to be bang on $200 so it’s all really FREE. But considering that I’d spent over an hour in the store by this point, and truly wanted/needed everything in my cart, I didn’t bother taking anything out, just to try to reach as close to the mark as possible!
- I redeemed $25.20 in manufacturer’s coupons
- I scored 4x$10 in Manager’s Markdowns for Aveeno Baby sunscreen, with another year and a half lleft on the expiry date. I might have squealed outloud in the aisle!
- I saved another whopping $355.41 in sale prices for my 74 items. I most definitely squealed when my daughter’s skin cream was marked down to $1 from $23.49 and I also treated myself to a microdermabrasion treatment normally priced at $30.99 for $1 as well! March is such a great month for finding clear-outs since businesses are working towards their “year end”. We’re still working on all that clear-out soap I picked up spring!
Total full price value of my 74 items $634.94
Total out of pocket $63.04 with taxes
I brought home $571.90 in FREE STUFF!
If you’ve been following along my Shoppers Drug Mart blog posts over the past year, you know that I always calculate my Shoppers Optimum Points earnings into my virtual savings at the time that I EARN them, so I mustn’t include this full $571.90 total in my running tally, otherwise I’d be double dipping on the points and not accurately portraying how much I truly save during the earn/redeem cycle. After taking out the $200 in points that was my base minimum to start with today, I actually brought home $371.90 in FREE stuff. Considering that I SAVED on average 85% on the items that I bought when I earned these points, I am just blown away by how much we save with the Optimum Points system throughout the year.
And some of todays items will have another layer of savings still to come:
- I have 6 Buy 1 Get 1 FREE Cineplex Cinemas children’s admissions to use by May 31st from the specially marked boxes of Honey Nut Cheerios that I picked up for $1.99 each (reg $6.49). I only had one of the $.75 OFF WebSaver coupons to use though, drats!
- I’ll get back $3.99 plus postage thanks to the Mail -In-Rebate for Lysol Foam Hand Cleaner (that’s IF I can bear to part with my original receipt. I really shouldn’t have bought it today – there was no added value in getting it on this trip since I’d already reached my $200 minimum threshold).
- I earned another 590 Optimum Points on this trip, which will be worth $1.41 in FREE stuff on my next full redemption at a Spend Your Points event. Hey, it all adds up!
I had enough points today for a double redemption, but I couldn’t have found another $634.94 in stuff that we actually needed even if I’d tried! Can you imagine THAT working title? “I got $1270 in FREE stuff Today” …. maybe one day!
Christa Clips ~ March 10, 2013Want more samples & coupons? Subscribe and we'll deliver the best samples & coupons to your inbox!