Shoppers Drug Mart’s Shoppers Optimum Points system has more valuable rewards if you’re able to bank your points and redeem them at a higher level. The Optimum level to reach is 95,000 Optimum Points which are worth $170 in FREE stuff if redeemed on a regular day, or $200 at a Spend your Points event. The BEST time of the year to redeem your Optimum Points is always during the Mega Redemption Spend Your Points Event in December where 95,000 Points are worth up to $210 OFF. That’s an extra $40 in FREE stuff!
Here are some tips for earning Shoppers Optimum Points quickly so that you’re ready to redeem them at the highest possible value:
20x Optimum Points Events
Shoppers Drug Mart hosts 20x Optimum Points events on a regular basis. On weekends, the events are featured on the cover of the flyer and do not require a printed coupon, the ones during mid-week often do. If you’re using a printable Canadian Coupon to earn 20x Bonus Optimum Points, take note of the fine print to confirm when the points will be added to your account. These 20x points events usually have a minimum threshold of $50 or $75 in order to earn the perk. Shoppers Optimum calculates this minimum threshold before taxes and before coupons. That means if I have $5 in coupons, I can actually spend only $45 plus tax out of pocket and still earn the 20x Optimum Points.
- Need 10,00 points? Spend $50* at a 20x Points Event
- Need 15,000 points? Spend $75* at a 20x Points Event
- Need 20,000 points? Spend $100* at a 20x Points Event
- Need 25,000 points? Spend $125* at 20x Points Event
- Need 30,00 points? Spend $150* at a 20x Points Event
- Need 50,000 points? Spend $250 at a 20x Points Event
- Need 90,000 points? Spend $450 at a 20x Points Event
If you do some calculating ahead of time, you can actually spend less out of pocket to earn these same number of Optimum Points by buying a Shoppers Drug Mart Gift card first ….
Buy a Shoppers Drug Mart Gift Card
Shoppers Drug Mart gift cards are the only gift card in the Shoppers Drug Mart Gift Card Mall that are pointable. That means you will earn regular Optimum Points on the purchase of a Shoppers Drug Mart Card; 10 points for every dollar that you load onto the card. The maximum dollar amount that can be loaded onto a Shoppers Drug Mart gift card is $300 so you might have to buy multiple cards if you’re making a big purchase.
- Load $50 onto a Shoppers Drug Mart Gift Card and EARN 500 Optimum Points
- Load $75 onto a Shoppers Drug Mart Gift Card and EARN 750 Optimum Points
- Load $100 onto a Shoppers Drug Mart Gift Card and EARN 1000 Optimum Points
- Load $200 onto a Shoppers Drug Mart Gift Card and EARN 2000 Optimum Points
- Load $300 onto a Shoppers Drug Mart Gift Card and EARN 3000 Optimum Points
When you use your Shoppers Drug Mart Gift Card to pay for your purchases at Shoppers Drug Mart, you’ll earn another batch of regular Optimum Points on your pointable purchases (groceries, cosmetics & fragrances, personal and household items, books, jewelry,cards & stationery, almost anything in the store!). It’s a great way to earn 2x the Optimum Points on a regular day, or stretch a 20x Points Event into a 21x Event!
Shop During the 18,500 Points Events
Similar to the 20x Points events, these events are held on the weekends (featured in the flyer) or mid-week with a printable Canadian Coupon. The minimum threshold for these events are usually $50 or $75. The maximum number of bonus Optimum Points is 18,500 so there’s no advantage to spending more than the minimum amount required to reach the perk. If you are spending less than $92.50 (before taxes and coupons) these events are generally the HIGHEST value events:
- Spending $50 at a 20x event will only earn you 10,000 Optimum Points
- Spending $75 at a 20x event will only earn you 15,000 Optimum Points
- Spending $90 at a $20x event will only earn you 18,500 Optimum Points
- Spending $100 at a 20x event will earn you 20,000 Optimum Points making this offer LESS valuable
Paying for prescriptions at Shoppers Drug Mart? Buy Shoppers Drug Mart Gift Cards to cover your entire transaction (including taxes and dispensing fees) and earn Optimum Points. This can REALLY add up for those who fill prescriptions at Shoppers Drug Mart on a regular basis.
Watch for BONUS Optimum Points Items – products featured in the flyer, on the shelf and in the Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum Offers website are often awarded Bonus Optimum Points.
- 5x, 10x, 15x, 20x Optimum Bonus Points
- 500, 1000, up to 8,000 Optimum Bonus Points
Buy Your Gift Cards During the Bonus Offer. In November of each year, Shoppers Drug Mart has it’s Annual Gift Card Bonus Offer where Optimum Card holders can earn up to 24,000 Bonus Points by purchasing $450 in gift cards from the Gift Card Mall. If those gift cards happen to be Shoppers Drug Mart Gift Cards which are pointable (see above), we earn an additional 4,500 Optimum Points.
Using the RBC Shoppers Optimum Mastercard and RBC Shoppers Optimum Banking Account. The credit card earns you an extra 1.5x regular Optimum Points on every purchase in store (including the pointable SDM Gift Cards we mentioned above) and .5x Optimum Points on purchases made wherever MasterCard is accepted. $50 at the gas pump would give you 250 points, for example. There are also sign-up perks up to 70,000 for signing – that’s almost a FULL redemption at one of the Spend Your Points events we listed above! Click here for details about the Shoppers Optimum Banking services.
Always Carry your Shoppers Optimum Card. If you happen to forget it, be sure to take your receipt back with your card within 7 days to be awarded your points.
I’ve earned thousands of dollars in FREE stuff at Shoppers Drug Mart over the years. Yes, 1000s! Our Optimum Points started accumulating when we were buying diapers, wipes and formula for two children, and has continued with razors, groceries, and most of our household products. Shoppers Drug Mart consistently has the lowest price in our town for milk, bread, eggs and butter, and the sale prices rival other grocery store and pharmacies so I’m never worried about being tempted into buying something just for the Optimum Points. Even so, I add as many layers of savings as I can by matching my Canadian Coupons to the sales and ONLY shop and redeem during the bonus Optimum Points offers. Last year we got a FREE Xbox for the kids, and I’ve redeemed twice for FREE cameras. Check out some of my victories (and a few defeats!) in my Shoppers Drug Mart blog posts:
- I Saved 89% at Shoppers Drug Mart Today. And I did it VERY poorly.
- 76% OFF at Shoppers Drug Mart with only 2 little Tear Pad Coupons!
- When Deals Collide …. 7 Layers of Savings!
- I got 280% MORE for FREE at Shoppers Drug Mart today!
- Shoppers Drug Mart’s Big Decision Coupon: 20 Things to Help you Choose!
- My final Shopper’s Hurrah of ’12 with 88% SAVINGS!
- I saved 84% at Shoppers Today (and the X-box Fund is complete!)
- I Missed Out on Shoppers Drug Mart’s Double Double but Still SAVED 70%
Christa Clips ~ November 20, 2013Want more samples & coupons? Subscribe and we'll deliver the best samples & coupons to your inbox!