I like to shop using the save/save/earn formula: that is buy the products that our family needs, try to get them on sale, redeem a coupon, and earn as many different perks as possible all in one shot. The triple dip worked like a charm today at Shoppers Drug Mart!
Here’s how it played out:
- I bought a $80 Shoppers Drug Mart Gift Card using my HBC Master Card earning me 800 Optimum Points (worth $2.08 in FREE stuff*) and 4,000 HBC Points (worth fifty cents!)
- I shopped myself to a $76.86 subtotal (after coupons, managers markdowns & sale prices) to meet the minimum threshold to earn the Bonus 18,500 Points (worth $48.10 in FREE stuff*)
- I came home and played with my receipt to learn that if I’d bought these items bit by bit and at full price, it would have cost me a whopping $130.26 and I certainly wouldn’t have earned my $52.96 in perks
- With coupons, sales & managers mark downs, I SAVED 45%
- Factoring in the bonus points earned, the whole trip could be described as 82% SAVINGS
*note: I calculate my Shoppers Optimum earnings with the assumption that I’ll redeem them at the anticipated Mega Spend Your Points Event in December. If I were to redeem them at the minimum redemption, on a normal day, they’d only be worth $25. It’s worth the wait, eh?!
The best coupons and deals that I used today were:
- Arm & Hammer (reg 6.99) on sale for $2.99 – I bought 3 and redeemed the BOGO FREE Websaver and the $1 OFF Smart Source Printable (neither are available any longer). Paying just $4.98 for 3 bottles = 77% OFF I’m not sure if I could have used both coupons and bought just 2 bottles – I wanted the third so didn’t trouble the cashier with the question. I’ll be sure to check next time!
- Downy Unstoppables (reg 9.49) on sale for $6.99 minus the $2 P&G BrandSaver coupon = 48% OFF
- Garnier Ultra-Lift 2 in 1 Serum & Moisturizer Wrinkle Reducer (reg 24.99) on sale for $19.99 less the $4 OFF WebSaver coupon = 37% OFF This alone isn’t a fabulous sale price, I’ve seen it for 40% OFF before, but this product was the “deal maker” for me in deciding to continue shopping for the $75 threshold for the Bonus Optimum Points.
- Dempster’s Whole Wheat Bread (reg 2.69) on sale for $1.99 less $1.00 WebSaver coupon = 64% OFF and super duper fresh!
- Special K Fruit Crisps (reg 3.49) on sale for $2.49 less the $1 Manager’s Mark Down sticker = 58% OFF Our whole family loves these … have you tried them yet?
By topping up my cart with other sale items from our shopping list, I cleared the $75 threshold, even though I hadn’t really planned to try for this promotion today! And I can honestly say that I didn’t “buy anything just because it was on sale or I wanted the perk.” That being said, there have been times where I was just a few dollars short of earning a perk and justified purchasing grocery items (usually milk, yogurt, eggs, bread) at full price (shreik!) to earn the Bonus Points or % reduction. This truly was a save/save/earn trip though!
Christa Clips ~ October 6, 2012Want more samples & coupons? Subscribe and we'll deliver the best samples & coupons to your inbox!